Опит с помощта на 1300 думи да защитя защо според мен образованието трябва да бъде приоритет номер едно на България и предложения за стъпки, които могат сравнително лесно и бързо да бъдат въведени, стига да има желание за промяна… (Част от кандидатурата ми за български младежки делегат в ООН).
„We are currently living the-ever-present-human-dream: enjoying free access to whatever knowledge we may be interested in. A century with no discrimination of accessing information. All you need to educate yourself today is a computer and an internet connection. Google does the rest.
So, if the problem is not where to find information, but how to assimilate it, how to differentiate the good from the bad one, the correct from the false, the useful from the useless, why our education system does not respond to that change? Why the teaching methods are still the same, as well as the subjects and the syllabus are? Why teachers try to implement the same kind of set of skills which has been used centuries along, but does not prepare students to face the challenges our modern society has now. Experts like to describe the current environment like complex, complicated, globally interconnected. Unfortunately, in my view, our education system is far away from showing us how to adapt to this fundamental shift in every aspects of our world, far away from making us competitive enough, far away from teaching us how to succeed.
In my opinion this is the area which Bulgaria faces most challenges in when we speak about youth and their problems. Because a good education system means more young people knowing what they want and pursuing their dreams, it means more good examples of youth success, and the latter is something we definitely lack through the last couple of years. Moreover, the good examples are the best engine of positive changes.
I am not a politician, neither an educational expert. I am just someone who has passed through our education system and at the same time had the chance to experience a foreign one, so that what I suggest as possible solutions to improve our education system are only first-hand examples, experienced, heard of, dreamt of. I believe they are all easy to implement and would bring only benefits, both for the students and the society.
What can be done:
1) Changing subjects and/or their syllabus. Adding new subjects. (Like Globalization or Cross-cultural communication, for instance).
2) Making computers and internet a part of the everyday-teaching-methods.
3) Organizing leadership seminars and soft skill trainings. Improving students` human interactive skills.
4) Changing teaching models. There is a need for more interactive learning process. More projects assignments, more presentations. Building up of the knowledge that could be easily access without a school.
5) Creating mandatory teachers` evaluating forms so that students would have the chance to give feedback concerning a subject and a teacher and the results would help to constantly improve the quality of the teaching and learning process.
6) Creating accurate infrastructure.
7) Creating fund which will support students in the process of creating more student organizations as a form of platforms where they could work on issues that matter to them and to the society and therefore to feel valuable.
8 ) Creating fund sponsoring students with high potential so that the best examples could be encourage and other students would like to achieve success themselves. Enhancing competition among students.
9) Organizing seminars for parents so that to help them build the skills they need for helping their children to cope with the environment and to protect them from its threats.
10) Actively working with psychologists so that to notice the aggression before it comes by itself.
11) More contracts between Bulgarian schools/universities and foreign partners for collaboration and exchange of ideas. Not only in Europe, but also with American and Asian partners.
12) Signing contracts with companies so that they offer sponsorship (in a way as scholarships for the best performing students or refurnituring a room, etc.), in exchange of having a say about the subjects/syllabus and access to a database with the students.
Finally, I would like to assure you that I am aware of the fact that one could not change the education system in the short term. But we could at least start the process. Moreover, there is a whole new generation coming in, growing-up in a totally different environment, and this is something we could not close our eyes at. Instead, we need to act. We need to change so that we could take the best from the “new world” and decrease the effects of the dislocations coming with it.
The reason I see the need of a change in our education system is that many teachers and even more students still do not realize the fact that we no longer compete only with ourselves. We will soon compete with everyone else and if the preparation is the key for good performance, we should rather start studying. But the right kind of knowledge.
I recently read the international bestseller book “The World Is Flat” by Thomas L. Friedman and I really like one idea of his: “In the future, how we educate our children may prove to be more important than how much we educate them.”. I do hope that we will find the right balance, the right techniques, the right people to educate the children of Bulgaria, so that all of us will enjoy the benefits afterwards.”
Отворена съм към още предложения и конструктивна критика :)
На интервюто ме попитаха какво ме е провокирало да посоча именно образованието за приоритет номер едно и въпреки, че отдавна се интересувам от тази тема, отговорих книгата на Т. Фридман. Защото тя наистина беше като широко отваряне на очите… Не, че всичко там трябва да се взема като чиста монета, естествено, но е пълна с толкова блестящи анализи и логично изведени заключения!
Колкото до моите предложения, те съвсем не са радикални или супер иновативни, но затова пък смятам, че биха дали резултат сравнително бързо. Някои от тях дори присъстват в официалните предложения по въпросите на ООН :) Факт, който осъзнах, когато започнах да се готвя за финала и си съставих един word файл с…130 страници информация по 15-те приоритетни области и още нещо :)